As respiratory problems flare up in winter, what can you do to minimize the impact?
As we approach winter, there are a few points you might want to be aware of in order to maintain a healthy season. We have summarized them into the steps below. It might seem simple, but it will really make a difference.
- It’s important to keep warm and try to avoid catching the most common illness in winter: the cold and flu; it has the potential to trigger your symptoms and worsen your condition. If you do catch it, please consult your family doctors.
- It’s no doubt flu can be serious, especially when living with a lung disease , which is why getting a flu shot is important. It reduces the risk of hospitalization. For those having chronic lung diseases such as bronchiectasis or pulmonary fibrosis, you are recommended to have a pneumococcus vaccine as well.
- This is kind of a given, but steer clear of people who are suffering from the flu. In any case, wear a mask to protect yourself.
- Staying warm is essential. Hot drinks do wonders to your body. Make sure the air conditioning is kept at an optimal temperature, as breathing cold air can increase the risk of respiratory infections.
- Try to stay as active as you can to generate body heat. When you’re indoors, try not to sit still for more than an hour. Your back will also thank you as an added bonus.
- For asthmatic patients, try using a reliever inhaler 15 minutes before going outside. Carry your reliever medication with you as cold air can tighten your airways making it harder for you to breathe. It can be a lifesaver.
- Try to breathe through your nose instead of your mouth as this will help warm the air you breathe in.
- Again, this is obvious but worth mentioning. Protect your lungs and airways from cold air by wearing a hood or scarf that covers your neck and mouth. Try to choose for smoother materials.
- As you see, taking good care of yourself is not that difficult; all you need is the extra awareness. Do them right and we wish you will enjoy the upcoming winter season.
- 還有哮喘人士，請在外出前15 分鐘使用吸入器。冷空氣會收緊呼吸道，讓大家難以呼吸，因此大家亦需隨身攜帶一些緩解藥物以便不時之需。